Setting up[ an Apple Id with no payment information

Okay, I admit apple is pissing me off here.
I am trying to setup an Apple Id for my wife's iPhone so that she can A, download free programs like the looktell voiceover tutorial from the ap store, and B, use Icloud.

I go to the ap store and guess what? credit card info required! This after going through god knows many sign inns and verifications, including being told I couldn't setup ap store because I had not yet used the apple Id on ap store, and then when I went to the ap store told that I needed to set up the id before using ap store (this after doing the actual Apple Id sign up first time around including email verification).

So I finally get the id itself setup and go to the ap store to download the looktell voiceover tutorial, to find you need to use payment information to actually download free programs! what the hell?

Needless to say I would have no problem my wife using my credit card, accept that I strongly suspect apple wouldn't like ttwo accounts on the same card, and my wife doesn't have! a credit card.

So do you need a credit card to download free programs? this just seems insane!

Since I know people have actually download programs and setup apple id without using a credit card I'd appreciate some assistance here, ---- really this level of security is getting beyond a joke! (I actually think it is far worse than when I set my Apple Id up back in 2012).