Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

Okay, on the topic of Freedom Scientific, and JAWS. Not to long ago, I used to think "You get what you pay for." When it came to screen readers. (Sorry about the terrible way I probably butchered grammar there.) Now, after getting some handle on NVDA, I do not think that as much. NVDA works surprisingly well on both machines I've tried it on, and JAWS seems to have gotten a lot more laggy on Windows 10 for me. Maybe it's just the laptop, though. NVDA does seem to run smoother on my windows 10 machine, and I've heard a similar report from another blind person as well. As for the price of JAWS, honestly, if it's gonna cost that much, I'd hope I'm getting some nice scripting software with the screen reader. On the concepts of standards, they are necisary. Both screen readers, and the companies making software that is intending to be accessible to said screen readers or any other form of adaptive technology for that matter, need to have a common link to work with. Now, the issue that is most agreeable is that it does need to be as easy and efficient as possible to use those common links. As far as designing an accessible way to navigate, screen readers have made a good method of doing that on computers. The key word is "on computers." Daigonite has the right idea, though I wonder if the market is off the mark a bit. On a mobile device, my experience has been more constrained to swipes that don't get me very far. From my experience with Android's Talkback, which is my main one, and the little experience that I've had with Apple's Voiceover, navigation of even websites is tedious and inefficient. (After seeing Daigonite's latest post.) Okay. I see what all of this is getting at. Honestly, I would agree here. Either a modular system like what you've presented or just a single dedicated overlay that contains all of the hooks for most adaptive technologies would greatly simplify the proce ss. It is more than possible to implement accessibility in most applications as is, but on the grand scale, it would take too long for that to be done and get the main bulk of the project done. Am I kind of understanding the issue here?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector