Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

Hello daigonite.

Why did you get so mad at me in your last post? There was no reason for that at all.

I don't know how to use the quote feature on this site so i'll just post your post and put my comments under eatch paragraph or line of text.

you should already know that I'm not physically disabled although I have pretty bad migraine aura.

I did not know that.

I have used a screen reader before out of curiosity because I like experimenting with blindness. But I wasn't trained formally so I never learned the shortcuts.

Nice. i'm glad you tried a screen reader.

Either way, I don't really think short cuts are an adequate patch - think about it, a lot of people would likely be introduced to the computer in a similarly incomplete fashion. Actual useful accessible design is about improving what exists already, not just simply saying, "well a solution exists!".

I don't think you've really tried shortcuts. They are not incomplete and I and many many blind people can do what ever we wish on our computers.

I'd like to know how you'd go about improving using shortcuts on the web?

Here are a quick list of useful shortcuts: h for heading.

l for list.

b for button.

e for edit box.

I cannot see how that experience on the web could be made better. It allows us, the blind people, to navigate effectively so I'd like to know how you would fix this? It semes completely fine to me.

Remember, a solution for getting across the atlantic to go to north america and europe existed for hundreds of years. However, I don't think for a minute that most people would prefer to take a several day ship ride over a flight of 8 hours. Just because a solution exists doesn't mean it's optimized, helpful or even practical in many situations.

Giv e me examples of ways that shortcuts aren't practicle on the web?

They get the job done, don't they?

Sure you may come across the occasional unlabled button, edit box or picture but nine times out of ten you can get past that and if you don't, well there's probably another site out there for what you want.

This is where engineering comes in.
The point of scripting is to allow users to design their own scripts to customize their experience. Currently screenreaders like NVDA do permit some scripting which causes some preference over JAWS (outside of financial reasons lol).

Actually jaws and other screen readers can be scripted too.

All of your arguments only demonstrate that you have absolutely no technical understanding of the problems at hand here.

Oh? Let me see. You'd like a script or wrappper I think it's called, that you would put into the developers website that would allow them to ma ke the website more accessible. You would make it so that the dev can put the  alt text, edit box lables, button lables  and so on where they need to go. Does that sound about right, daigonite?

I might not have the knolledge but I don't feel I need it, everything works fine and for those sites that do not, email the dev, explain your reasoning and if they don't get back to you, well you've got thousands of other sites you can go to.

If it was something like a bank, i'd call them and explain the situation and go from there. If they didn't or couldn't fix it, i'd move on.

Even if you are blind, it doesn't mean you actually know what you're talking about.

Well, that's true but i'd go as far as saying you don't either.

Yes you can learn about these things and code and make the web a better place but where are you getting your data from? That screen readers ar e flored? I can asure you they are not. They do what they are meant to do. Could NVDA do with more customiseable options, sure, but that's only because I really like customising my screen reader if I can. That however does not mean the program is flored.

Essentially, all the things you listed could indeed have bugs, (so I must kind of know what i'm talking about accessibility wise, no?)

but the point is to allow the user to customize their own experience and have compatibility with accessibility standards on the software side. Furthermore, you don't need to be disabled to be able to produce technology that actually solves these problems. These problems are technical implementation problems, not problems that require you to be blind in order to solve them.

I never said you did. Where are you getting this from?

All I did was give you some reasons I think your wrapper API script thing wouldn't work and a program calle d guide that prooves this idea of helping the elderly blind people has already been done. That's it, I never said you have to be blind sighted or otherwise to program a blind app/website/game. Look at Aprone, he's fullly sighted and makes games for us.

In all honesty I think your approach is completely wrong, backwards and stupid, and counterproductive to actually improving the situation. Just because you are content with your experience doesn't mean it can't be improved and doesn't mean that other people don't need it to be improved.

Why do they need it to be improved?

1. those who use a screen reader will be able to use it to the best of there ability and will learn more as they go.

2. Most sights are accessible and those that aren't, well, i'm sure you can find another site for that thing that you need.

If not, then try another way. Take a banking site for example; you find out that it isn't fu lly accessible and write to the devs telling them this. They do not reply. You then have a choice; you can either 1. walk away or 2. use the app as much as you can.

I have no interest in starting a flame war but in all honesty your opinions come off as completely unmerited, not useful, and pointless.

So if you don't want to actually start one I would recommend coming up with useful ideas to approach the situation instead of acting like I shouldn't care because I'm not blind.

Really? I've been using a lot of screen readers through my life and you say my post is pointless? I know more about screen readers than you, that's not bosting that's the truth. So I was just giving you ideas on how I do not believe this idea of yours will work.

As for you not caring, i'd love to see where I put that in my post because as far as I know, I did not.

Identity politics is a waste of time, stop trying to invoke it here because it reflects poorly on you.

Says you. I don't care what people think of me. Let this post and the post before this reflect poorly on me, I can asure you I don't give a damn.

I develop blind tech because I genuinely find it interesting and it infuriates me from a philosophical and engineering perspective why it's so ass backwards.

I honestly don't think it is. It can do with improving, everything can, be it blind tech or otherwise but it isn't so broken that it doesn't work. Tuns of blind people have jobs and volunteer every day with this "ass backwards" technology and they seem to be getting on fine.

Considering that you are the only person in this thread who doesn't agree that the situation is messed up, you should probably provide more useful, tangible evidence to demonstrate why you are right.

Let's see:
1. blind people have jobs.

2. Blind people volu nteer.

3. Blind people use their computers successfully.

Websites can do with improving, buttons labled correctly, edit boxes need lableing, perhaps some ARIA might make a website more accessible but I do not think it's so broken that we need to change it in the way you're saying.

I'm not going to post the twitters of these people directly since I kind of need them for promotional purposes and I don't want them to reverse search this thread, but you can find what they're posting by searching tags on twitter like a11y or UX.

It's a shame you don't have any articles. I don't have twitter.

Daigonite I have used screen readers all of my life. I have been blind all of my life. I know about blind accessibility and I am fixing things slowly in my own time.

For example; a team from reddit contacted me when I did an AMA asking me about accessibility and telling me the plans they have. I hope to help them to improve reddit for those of us who are blind.