Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

Hello daigonite.

Sorry if my last post seemed a little  harsh. It's just as far as I know you'd not tried a screen reader fully and only tabbed around web pages and then want to fix things which in my oppinion do not need fixing.

I'd highly recommend trying a screen reader out if you can for a day or so, then write back here what you find.

You're going to find it very hard.

If you're willing to do it, i'd be willing to give you some shortcuts that I think would help you.

I'm not sure if that will show you fully what I mean but it should give you an idea. In my oppinion we don't need to fix anything, or change it that much.

Tell devs about accessibility, show them sites like applevis for apple products and show them sites for web development and accessibility. But we do not need huge accessibility changes.

Can you explain to me how you think the techknolegy is backwa rds? I've been using screen readers for around 17 years of my life and do not think they're backwards or broken. Yes they have bugs but honestly none of them are so bad that they stopped me from using that screen reader. I could still do what I needed to do.

I think you may be coming at this from a sighted point of view. Meaning, that you hear this robotic sounding voice and might press a couple keys and think "This program is not doing what I want it to do so I'll fix it!" But the truth is, there probably was a way to do the thing you wanted and you just didn't have the knowledge of the keystroke/shortcut to do it.

So the idea of updating accessibility standards for blind web access is nice but in my oppinion is not needed.