Re: Question about MIDI making without a MIDI keyboard for use in reaper

Hi again!

assault_freak wrote:

Midi notation if you have the head to wrap around things like that is wonderful and gets the job done quickly. But it does take time to learn whatever language you decide to use, as you are basically programming music.

Could you suggest some well-known languages for this?

* * *

Thank you raygrote for such an in-depth reply. I learned a lot from you.

raygrote wrote:

While I don't have much experience with programs that actually specify acceptance of ABC notation, I do have some experience with similar endeavors. I am pretty sure that ABC notation is similar to MML, which is a system of writing music in a text file. You write letters a-g for the notes with additional symbols for accidentals such as sharp or flat. Numbers are used which describe the lengths of those notes such as 4 for quarter-note, 8 for eigh th-note, etc. I am fairly fluent in this type of writing, at least when I already know what I want to write down, and I'm certain there are many programs which can convert this notation to a midi file, but I would by no means suggest this as a primary method for writing music. I'd only really investigate it if you are looking into composing for old 80s sound chips and the like, since a lot of programs were used in those days which worked this way. For midi files, it's often not the best option, unless you find one of those scary mml to midi systems that have elements of a programming language. Those are pretty nifty, but for the average user, there are far more efficient ways to do what you want.

Am I able to also write drum beats (or patterns) with things like these?

raygrote wrote:

The short answer to your questions is yes. You can use QWS to make songs with its onscreen keyboard. These son gs can have melodies, chords, and drums. And provided that you are comfortable editing, these songs can be as simple or complex as your imagination and patience will allow. I'll be the first to admit it does get a little frustrating at times depending on what you want to do... QWS isn't perfect, but I personally think it's the best option we have at the moment for midi sequencing.

I have a question here: Am I able to specify the notes and chords without actually playing them?
'cause I don't have a midi keyboard and playing with a laptop keyboard is frustrating or impossible at times.
In other words: I want to write music, Not play it.
Speacking of onscreen keyboard: Am I able to change the transpose of the keyboard? or choose another scale?

raygrote wrote:

A few things to keep in mind though. While you can hit multiple keys at once to play chords, you may have trouble playing certain chords, depending on the type of computer keyboard you have. Most keyboards that come with desktops and laptops are made cheaply, and while they are adequate for general use, they will not allow you to press unusual combinations of keys, and this will limit your ability to play chords. Using a better keyboard will mitigate this, but I wouldn't worry so much about that right now unless you actually want a better keyboard for typing and whatnot. For midi sequencing on an onscreen keyboard, it is more important that you learn how to edit your recorded performance. If you are proficient in editing, then you won't need an expensive computer keyboard that will allow you to play chords; you can simply do what you can with what you have, and add additional notes later with the editing tools of QWS. Learning how to edit is not only useful for that purpose, it is also useful in highly advanced maneuvers even if you are a master at playing a real keyboard. As you may suspect, there's a learning curve, and at this point I'll drop you off to allow you to work on your own. Just try not to be discouraged. It most likely won't come overnight. If you need help, I'm always willing to try to assist.

Could you please explain some more about editing in QWS? Which options and tools should I look into in QWS?

raygrote wrote:

If you're like me, and love Reaper for using vst plug-ins but don't want to learn how to sequence in it, then this is a natural question to have. The short answer is yes, but it involves some work. You can do it in two ways:

  • make the drums with something like microsoft GS Wavetable and then import that midi into Superior Drummer and hope it sounds okay

  • Use something called a virtual midi cable to link QWS to Reaper, so that in essence QWS is controlling whatever vsts Reaper has loaded. IN this wa y, you can hear Superior Drummer while you're actually creating the drum track

Yes, I'm exactly the way you described lol.
I don't know anything about these two ways you introduced. Could you explain further especially about the first one?
Again, Thanks for the reply!