If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It, Or Why I've Chosen to Lern VB6

Many of you may know that Visual Basic 6.0 is no longer (technically) supported by Microsoft, although the VB6 runtimes are still available for modern versions of Windows.
Many of you also may know that I'm a beginning programmer with experience with a few languages (mostly those used to develop interactive fiction) and I've been struggling to find a language that works for me.
So, after finding the source code to several sample games in Visual Basic 6.0 (chief among them being Chopper Patrol and Jim Kitchen's Guess The Number), I've decided to dip my toe in the water and try to learn VB6.

Yes, I know a bit of Python (and PureBasic to a lesser extent), but not anything substantial. So if you're going to criticize me for using ancient technology, keep this in consideration.
Sorry if I sound like a bit of a jerk, I've just been trying to find an easy-to-use programming language for a few years and nothing has really suited me.
(I've also discussed _javascript_ on this forum. Yes, Dark Defender is an excellent audiogame, but I don't think _javascript_ is the best language to use with my current skill set.)

With that out of the way, I'd like to thank Aprone for making the professional edition of VB6 available from his website.
I'll keep you guys posted, so stay tuned.

P.S: I know some VB6 games (such as those by BSC or L-Works) don't work that well; what components/libraries/modules should I avoid using?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Orko via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Draq via Audiogames-reflector