Re: Books by Stephen King

Well I've decided I'll finish skeleton crew before I start on The green mile with mrs. Dark.

Of the other stories I've read, the Monkey was a fairly nice workmanlike horror story with nothing really distinguished about it, not terrible, but not great either, about what you would expect of a story written about such a standard horror premise as an evil clockwork monkey.
One thing I did think was a bit off, is the story implied the main character was having problems  with his older son, but then in the climax you only ever see the younger one, I wondered if the story would have some nasty twist at the end or at least perhaps some sort of resolution but it felt a bit undefined, particularly since the main character wasn't exactly pleasant, albeit nicer than the one in the Mist.

Here there be tigers was an awesome story! one of those wonderful moments that captures just the sort of childhood fear you remember where there is something nasty a nd nobody believes you. I've heard it said that the short story is the purist form of horror, and Tigers proves why, particularly since at a bare ten minutes it's  one of King's shortest.

Raising Cane was a dreadful story. My lady suspects that the idea of someone shooting up an American university was probably more shocking back when the story was written before people started doing it for real. But either way there just wasn't really enough going with that one. Stories where the protagonist is a psycho tend to be fun when they let the reader get inside the psycho's head and go yuuuuuuuuuch! at some worrying ideas, in that story I honestly didn't really know why the guy wanted! to shoot people or what really the guy was thinking at all, hell the only vague logic behind it seemed to be that he'd failed his exam (and I'm not even sure about that since King never made it clear), so decides to go shooting people for no readily apparen t reason.

We'll see what other stories have to offer.