Re: Books by Stephen King

I've read the Langoliers, actually when the Rnib sent me four past midnight it was the only story I read as the next disk cocked up. I had seen the miniseries first, and while the miniseries wasn't bad the story was of course better, though I'd like to read it again since Mrs. Dark really! dislikes Dyna, the blind girl in that sotry as she felt she was one of King's worst attempts at depicting a blind character going down very much the path of being both utterly useless and quite super powered.
I don't remember this for myself but would like to confirm, also to read the other stories in four past midnight.

Well I've continued with skeleton Crew. The Jaunt was indeed just as scary as I remembered!

The next story, The Wedding gig was okay, obviously an attempt by king as writing a period story  very much in twenties prohibitoion America with gangs and Jaz and such.

I enjoyed it more than I expected since I'm not real ly a huge fan of the hole organized crime thing, ---- or  period Jaz music either. I sort of got annoyed how the narrator kept saying nasty thing about   girl getting married even when feeling sorry for her, it was rather back handed, particularly since he went  to make some pretty heavy handed comments about race relations and comparing her situation to his black band mates which sort of felt a bit to moralistic, and indeed unfair to the lady in question, since we all know that yes being black in twenties America wasn't a nice thing, but that really wasn't what the story was about and I felt rather more sorry for the poor fat girl who'd just seen her brother get shot and who the narrator was still sneering at even as he was supposedly feeling sorry for her.
Maybe the racial thing would've made more sense to me if he made it more part of  story, but then the  would've been longer  I probably wouldn't have been as involved with it as I was since as I said neither Jaz nor organized crime, nor indeed prohibition is really my thing. I did like the ending though and where said rotund lady wound up, that was a surprise.

There then followed Paranoid, a chant which set up nicely but should really have had a bit more payoff, since while setting up that the narrator is a total nutcase it didn't really go very far, indeed there was one line towards the end that indicated some sort of conclusion but didn't resolve. It felt  waiting for a package, then hearing a noise out side seeing the postman, then watching as he goes to another house big_smile.

King does individual creepy stream of consciousness very well in terms of thoughts, it's a major theme in lots of his books, the problem though is usually when it occurs it has some creepy happenings to back it up, where as here it really didn't.

Since I've already read the raft, next up is word processor of the Gods, one I'm really looking forward to as a good friend of mine recommended it years ago.