Re: Spam, spam, lovely spambots...(Or not)

CAPTCHAs just don't work. They are, at best, security by obscurity. Other solutions while imperfect at least slow the bastards down, and also have the benefit that they don't treat any visitors like crap. Which is always nice.

As to Google's latest abomination, well surprise surprise it doesn't work unless you allow Google to track you with cookies. Install an ad blocker and you're guaranteed to see a CAPTCHA, even when you check the box. I'll be damned if I allow Google to track me all across the web just so I can meekly press a button in their _javascript_ monstrosity (the means by which they tell human from bot) without a high probability of being told to solve a fuzzy audio CAPTCHA which can't be solved automatically using the visual replacement and which requires my computer's volume to be on full just to listen to it.

Fuck that!

But feel free to disagree ...

Yes, I had noticed that many of these spam posts get pos ted twice. I wonder why that is? And I wonder if we couldn't harness it. Probably duplicates should already be suppressed. But it's not entirely improbable that an ordinary poster might struggle to post and thereby end up posting twice, either. Spammers normally post using scripts and the like.