Re: New Fitbit Device for the Blind

It's a bit strange the way they're pitching this device. Calling it a smart watch and such. As far as I can tell it's a mobility aid, but nowhere does it say that. When  I first heard it described as a smart watch, I thought it connected to the net and stuff as well as having a sonar sensor function. I can only assume they're avoiding the term mobility aid to distinguish it from other similar devices. I'd like to try it out to see if it's better than the miniguide, but I'm not convinced it would be. It'd be more convenient to have it as a wrist band rather than on a lanyard like the miniguide, but I'm not sure how much having it on the wrist would limit where you can point it. The useful thing about the miniguide is you can point it at a 90 degree angle to the direction you're walking, which is great for going around corners and stuff. As you walk around the corner, you can keep adjusting the angle until you find the straight again. Having it on the left wrist, how easy would it be to direct the beam horizontally 90 degrees to the right across your body, and then continue to adjust it to sort of feel your way around a corner/obstacle. Imagine having a torch on the wrist and trying to direct the beam as effectively as if you had a torch in the hand. Also what happens when you're wearing long sleeves, do you have the wrist band over your clothing. That's not going to be very convenient when wearing a coat. I'd love to do a comparison of the two devices, but given the postage costs to the UK, I'd probably end up losing quite a bit of money if I had to return it. And being outside the EU, they could well decide to charge a 20% restocking fee, or even just offer me store credit, both of these has happened to me in the past.