a dark room and the ensign again, help needed

Hi all,
Well I've recently started playing these games again. A Dark Room, I have started on hard mode, but I wanted to also do some battling and so I have also started playing the Ensign.
For A Dark Room, I now notice you can buy bates with 5 meat from the merchant. However, it's been so long that I have forgotten how to use these bates for my traps. Will that only happen once workshop is unlocked?

Now, for Ensign. I don't know if that particular game is working properly or not. For some reason, there's the option to take food, but no option to leave it. I also have to sometimes tap the screen to make options appear, such as going inside houses.
I remember there used to be a way that you could not take the food when the game was first released, to activate hard mode, so does this now only become available once the game is won? I'm also wondering how the heck to level up my punches, and why my outposts have suddenly started to disappea r, I thought that was only in hard mode, not the standard game, of ensign? I'm now even more confused by it and hope I haven't broken it. I also got a weird dialogue about the noun grit!