Re: Books by Stephen King

Well I have now got through a few more stories.

Reaper's image was a bit like the monkey, a rather creepy little gothic horror type story about an evil mirror. A standard story in lots of ways but the actual execution and what the mirror did was creepy enough for me to notice, also being a shorter story helped.

Nona was a seriously! worrying story. My lady really didn't like this one, I'm not sure since the sheer oddness and the casual murder really did something also I did feel sorry for the protagonist despite the murdering.
The only major flaw was the end of the story Beware! spoiling spoilers of spoilery doom!
king tries to suggest that it's all in the protagonists' mind but there were a few too many bits earlier on in which nona had a bit too concrete a presence to make it realistic that the protagonist just dreamed her up, eg, when she flags down the slimy businessman with the car and when she hands the main character a nail file  to give said slimy businessman a good stabbing.

For Owen was a cute little two minute attempt at uneasiness and rather silly really. While I appreciate the idea of King trying to write for his son, trying to combine slightly surreal, unsettling horror with a sort of sesame street idea  didn't exactly work, or at least not in so short a peace with nothing really by way of plot anyhow.

The next story was survivor type, a really! disturbing tale of an unpleasant doctor stuck on a small desert island.
this one was down right nasty, very ghoulish, and actually quite awesome in a down right nasty and absolutely ghoulish way, the sort of horror story that really leaves you shuddering just from it's concept.

It reminded me slightly of misery, but in an hour of short story it worked really well, particularly since you are always wondering that the guy is desperate to survive, but ultimately what for?