Monthly chat October 2017

Welcome to yet another of our famous monthly chat topics.
Well famous ish anyway. For anyone who hasn't seen these before (they're not that famous), this is your place to chat about pretty much anything going on in your life each month.
Games, books, films, school, work, relationships,  all of those happy fun and  cuddly things, ---- or indeed sad, depressing and    spiky  things as the case may be for you.

For me, while the relationship side of things is still most definitely cudly, other aspects are less so.
As I said at the end of last month's thread, unfortunately my  laptop is playing silly buggers turning off the wireless  capability for no reason, so I'm having to borrow my lady's to check the forum. This means not much by way of games or indeed email at the moment though since we are hopefully going to get a carpet  next Saturday which is the first step in deboxifying the living room of our new house, setting up my desktop should follow relatively quickly I hope.

If not , hopefully we can take my laptop back to the firm I got it from and get the model number and function key commands to turn wireless back on.
Actually I hope the problem is that simple, but we'll see, certainly the network is working.

In other news, last night I went to the first band concert here in  this new town, disconcertingly for those in the states called Newark, though the one in Nottinghamshire, not the one  close to new Jerzy (I have been to that one, or at least to it's airport and they're very different).

Newark  over here is a rather quiet little market town, but one conveniently on the trainline in the center of the country where it's possible to get most places, which makes it A, conveniently small to walk about and B, easy to visit other parts of the  country from.

Exhibit A I demonstrated last night by headin g to the theatre for the first time for a band concert.
This was a concert by a wind band, which is similar to a brass band.

for those only familiar with the American style marching bands, British bands are rather different. Back in the  industrial  revolution going right through up to the eighties and  nineties, every small mining village and  factory town in North England had a band who played a lot of popular classic stuff.
The mines and colearies are gone, but the bands are still around.
They don't march but give concerts in halls, churches etc, accept anyone with an instrument (they used to be pretty much men only but that's long since changed), and are usually rather fun performances.For a good look at a band and some of the north English culture, see the film Brassed off.

Last  night the band, being a wind band was basically like an  orchestra  without a string section and played a lot of  fun s tuff from War of the worlds (the Jeff Wayne version), to Pirates of the carribian, Swan lake and even a beatles medly and bohemian  rhapsody by queen as well as a few more standard things like Colonel  bogey.

It's nice to have a theatre within walking distance and the staff are rather friendly, though I missed my lady since she was still feeling unwell so couldn't come with me which was a  pest since she would've rather enjoyed it I think.

Oh bwell, since I saw my first Christmas advert last week (they're getting earlier every year), that means the  buying season is approaching, which generally means more concerts etc, so I'm sure we'll be back, hopefully at some point as  performers if we're lucky.

Well that's probably enough for a col and grim morning, or at least it is here, so hope everyone else is having fun.
Hopefully when my desktop is up and running I can get back to the db, trying ne w games and doing generallywhat I usually do on a more regular basis, though as with a lot in my life currently moving house is proving  getting in the way of most everything.