Ice Path in Pokemon Crystal

I know that anyone who has played this is already cringing super hard. I've literally just entered the ice path and trying to get down to the second floor, as well as grab all the items. I can't seem to get to the item I want because I'm skating too far over the ice. Am I supposed to find an alternative path? and I haven't even gotten down to the part with the boulders yet... sad