Re: Braille: A philosophy

I don't know how to describe the slate and stylus without it sounding horrible. And, much like handwriting, the experience varies. I suppose the cheeky answer is "it's like being Vanna White, except with 6 panels per letter instead of one, and also you're poking them open with a tiny hole-poking tool."
It also varies with the type / sharpness of the stylus, the type of slate, the surface you're using, practice, technique, yada yada. Most people seem to prefer saddleback styluses (styli?), but I can hardly do anything with those and prefer the one's shaped kinda like a driver (as in the golf club). I'd say the biggest disadvantage compared to the typewriter is the inability to review and edit the line you're on until you're done with it.
I've heard people complain about people complaining about having to write right-to-left, but I don't remember ever hearing someone actually complain about it. It's easier th an it sounds, but most people hate it all the same.