Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

@1:
Here's my opinion on the matter. I would not go so far as to disagree with the idea of Blind Schools 100%, because I feel they have their uses. For example: a student who just recently lost the vision they were used to utilizing all their life thus far could definitely benefit from a blind school, as the ready made accessible environment would be more conducive for learning and less stressful on them. On the other hand, I completely disagree with parents sending their children to blind schools year round for more than, say, two years. I see it as institutionalization, nothing more. While being in a blind school can help, if you're in one for too long you begin to expect the braille on all the doors, your accessible technology, the tactile queues for navigation everywhere you go, etc. Not to mention that blind people... tend to perform social actions that are considered peculiar to the sighted such as rocking back and forth. My family jokingly calls these blindisms. Anyway, no one ever teaches you that these blindisms are not really socially acceptable, if anything you end up fitting in with people there if you do them.
Bottom line, I think blind schools are good for those who absolutely need them, but not as a long term solution for one's school career. They are just an institution, a shelter for the real world, and, if I'm being frank, sometimes I think a way for parents to not have to take care of their blind child.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gamedude via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Rory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gamedude via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : hurstseth405 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Dwarfer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gamedude via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector