Re: Why I am 100 percent against schools for the blind

@50, the capital punishment is definitely a deserved punishment. If someone in your family got raped, or any of your friends got raped, wouldn't you want the death penalty applied to them? I know I certainly would!
My experiences at the North Dakota School for the Blind were nowhere near as bad as they could've been, and I'm quite thankful they weren't. One thing I didn't like was how the school always taught you the homemade way of making things, and only that way, rather than the processed way. I get that homemade skills are good to have, but it's good to get a little bit of everything. I'm still connected to the school for the blind -- they and I chat via Email these days -- and every friendship I forged there is still working out nicely. But just because my particular experience was good doesn't mean I like them. I was mostly educated in the public school, and at the start of my education it was terrible. My mom tells me of incidents where, in kindergarten, they'd lock me up in this cage-like place, or the kids would bully me or find any way of excluding me. I, fortunately, have no memory of those events, something I'm quite grateful for. (I probably do have all those memories; it's just my subconscious refusing to recall them.) My first two years of K12 education -- first and second grade, I mean, and even third -- weren't good either. I didn't have anyone to help me out -- how could anyone expect me to fully know how to educate myself at such an early age? -- but I didn't have any assistive technology either. I moved to North Dakota in October of 2008. My 9 years here have been excellent. Ever since I moved here I have not only received enough assistance that I could at least learn independence, but I was also taught how to function without someone there to always help me. I learned that, while independence is important, it doesn't hurt to ask for help, and so I've never understood why some people think that asking for help is bad or something like that. I've done my bad fair share of things; hell, in eighth grade I got caught violating my schools AUP, got lectured and punished, but the punishment wasn't even close to corporal. I got what I deserved and that was that. I've had teachers I've disliked, but mostly things have been good. Now I'm in college, and things have been mostly going well here (excluding the fact that I had to drop math class this semester because the book lists for everyone were sent out later than usual, so I didn't have any time to prepare... and they wouldn't convert to Epubs, fuck amazon!). I'm happy here, and moving to ND was probably one of the best decisions my family has ever made. But my passed, both digital, non-digital and familial, do have bad spots and dark moments.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : shotgunshell via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector