Re: Really frustrating problem.

Hey staindaddict,
Just curious, do you have a full version of Malware Bytes? Afaik it will only do realtime scanning if you do, the free version cannot do this and so can only address threats if you manually scan and it finds them. They may have changed this, however. Personally, I use Malware Bytes when I think I'm infected, and have given up on Defender. I don't need anything in realtime for regular use, I haven't been infected in ages and I always found virus scans to be nerve-racking and not good for productivity. In the end common sense seems a better option than something constantly running in the background. I'd say only use something that runs in realtime if you feel you will soon be getting into trouble, like if visiting a strange web site or trying to work with someone else's files who may be infected.

As for programs I use for protection. In addition to Malware Bytes, I also use JrT (junkware removal tool). Which if memory serves and if nothing has changed, is a command line program written by the Malware Bytes team. You just run it and it does its thing. It closes a lot of programs in the process though, but it does try to clean your system. It isn't an antivirus, it just removes a lot of addware and spyware. AdwCleaner is another one to check out, though I think that was also taken over by Malware Bytes, and for me is a little harder to use than it once was. I'm not sure how much it's changed since I last used it regularly which was years ago. But you can give those two a shot as well if you think you're infected.