restricted accounts can still pm me spam

Hi,
While this isn't a major annoyance at present, I was wondering about some thoughts on restricted accounts. In particular, people who have not posted once and who are thus restricted can still message any user they wish. I can see two sides to allowing restricted accounts to message users. Since messaging is not related, in principal anyway, to the public forum, it would make sense to treat messages as such and not worry as much about them. On the other hand, I've gotten at least three spam messages in the past few months. It's not a big deal, but if the infestation gets as bad as it once was on the forums, then we could have a problem.

Perhaps, a system could be put in place so that any messages sent by restricted users would have to pass through mandatory moderation. Presumably if you made an account you'd want it unrestricted, so having your messages moderated before being sent would be even more incentive to introduce yourself properly and thus get unrestricted access. If I understand correctly a moderator can read any user's messages whenever they choose anyway. So having restricted users moderated until they are proven as legit sounds reasonable to me. And also we'd have the added benefit of finding spammers before they even post, if they decide to send messages first instead.

Finally if I see messages coming in and the post count fr the sender is 0, should I try to report them somehow, and how should I do it? In my experience if you delete a post, the number of posts in the profile doesn't go down, so I would assume that the post count shown in their profile is accurate of how many times they posted, regardless of if those posts are still on the forum or not.

What are your thoughts?