Re: Affordable Braille Displays: Cost vs Quality

@defender
I've known people who've never had any problems with wireless keyboards and mice, but then again i've also had ones that were jittery or flaky with their connections. Maybe its particular brands or just personal preference, I tend to stick with wired devices and avoid potential connectivity issues and battery swapping. In regards to buttons, now that I think about it are there actually any Braille Displays that don't have any buttons on them? I imagine screen readers like NVDA could use the on screen cursor to send a specific segment in a row of text to a display, such as everything to the right of the cursors position?

For the braille pins, it seems like a neat kind of customization for asthetics. Maybe not necessarily practical, but then again LED backlit keyboards aren't much either, heh. If braille cells were tightly packed together custom pins could be a good way to differentiate between cells, or maybe such things could prove to be a distraction when trying to read the actual braille symbols being displayed. It would be interesting to see how people make use of it, if at all.

@CAE_Jones
Ooo, I really like the idea of Braille Displays being something like tower case PC's or the oft dreamt of modular phones, like the shelved [Project Ara]. Being able to buy additional components to upgrade the cell count, refresh rate, or even get a new case for addtional buttons or options would be pretty cool, not to mention being another way to push costs down with incremental upgrades.