Re: A Hero's Call: an Accessible Fantasy RPG from Out of Sight Games

Slight spoilers contained in this post
So, the navigation system is the only aspect of this game that really isn't my cup of tea.
It isn't horrible, but I do think it could stand to benefit from a couple of minor tweaks.
The scanning is actually frustrating at times. When you press I, you're given a list of things your character can see, minus the direction those things are in relation to the player. If I, the character, can see those things, I would be immediately aware of their position in relation to me. Control D and control S only seem to work if you're close to the unit, and they ignore some types of units. This leaves you searching for items that are apparently within the character's field of vision by means of trial and error. If it announced the direction the units were facing as well, this would at least make things a little easier (though at the cost of extra desultory speech you might have to sit through before you can start moving, as the unit you're interested in might not be first on the list).
Pressing E to hear what's ahead of you can sometimes read off a substantial list, which is immediately and often interrupted if an NPC steps in front of you.
For me, the forest has been the place where these issues cause the most problems. Since the maze is so complex, having to blindly wander around in search of things you can apparently see already really ruins any sense of direction you might have had.
Speaking of the forest and navigation, something's up with those wolf dens. Their audible range is huge but they give no indication of how close you are to them.
I found three of them no problem, but the one up by the north bridge is absolutely brutal. I've been blindly circling it for hours, never knowing if I'm getting warmer or colder. The only indication is whether or not you've left it's mega massive range in which you can hear wolf snarls.
I think it's a bit unfair that they don't show up on the list of things and places in sight when you get close enough, or at least get a little bit louder as you get closer.
Other than that, I'm absolutely loving this. I might never find that wolf den under the current circumstances, but I can't say enough great things about this game otherwise.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : flame_elchemist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stewie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Sean-Terry01 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Jeffb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : angarag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : musical professor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : flame_elchemist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : flame_elchemist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindNinja via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : BlindNinja via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : michaelhoffman1976 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : angarag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ulisesmonge39 via Audiogames-reflector