A Hero's Call, Deep Woods Quest

Hey guys. Just throwing this topic up for anyone who gets stuck in this specific section of the game to post questions and look for tips. Most of the questions I've read seem to revolve around the Graveyard or Mines, but oddly, I'm stuck in the tree.

So here's the problem:

SPOILER

I've made it through the strangle vines, through the tree door puzzle, and I've found the journals of both dead brothers. I've flipped both switches, as well as clearing out all 4 areas of choked weeds on rings 2 and 3. I've found the secret entrance out. But I still have the Heartwood quest in my log. From what I've been able to gather, I'm looking for a core room with some sort of boss battle, but no matter where I look I can't find it. I see a dead end hallway in the center of the 3rd ring that looks like a good place to find a boss, but when I go down it, nothing triggers. Any tips on where I should be looking? I'm worried that maybe it's bugged out.