Re: Voice chat in BGT

I was strictly talking about real time voice chat. And the length of transmission depends on how large the clip is. A short 1-2 second clip might take up to 1.5 seconds; a long 2 minute clip would probably take 10-15 seconds. Real time chat like Skype would lag the entire game to horrifying degrees in BGT. It's not practical nor worth it. That's why we have programs like Mumble or discord -- they offer this without you having to implement it yourself. As for why I reply to these, I already gave my response. You guys want all these awesome features that will make your games possibly the best yet you continue to jump to BGT every single time. And the only reason that I know of that you guys do it is because one, it's easy, and two, it's what everyone excluding myself seems to recommend. Look at a hero's call. It's not written in BGT. It's written in C# and look at what a great game it is. Tactical battles isn't written in BGT either and that game was bad-ass. Even in C++ with SFML's example of VOIP that's with no other network activity happening -- just pure audio transmission. It wouldn't be very practical once you started adding in things like weapons, movement, etc., into the program, and then had a lot of players connected. It just saddens me to see you guys express an idea of something like "I want voice chat" or "I want database support" in your games and you leap to BGT and just hope it can solve all your problems. Things like this would most likely be far easier in C++ or other languages because you can interface with the library headers directly rather than having to go through dLL calls. BGT makes things easy but game programming is never easy. Programming something huge is never easy in general. It would certainly make me (and probably others) happy if you guys at least looked towards other options rather than BGT being your immediate pick. We could even make a menu class in C++ to make things familiar for you. But no one's going to jump on it if none of you guys will use it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dash via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : brian . kurosawa via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : blink_wizard via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dash via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : BigGun via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : dash via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector