Re: Developing a 2D, topdown stealth adventure

Libaudioverse, maybe? It's specifically designed to improve on problems that Camlorn found in OpenAL when he made the camlorn_audio wrapper.

When you say line of sight of guards, what specifically are you trying to do? Is this just to determine whether or not they can see the player? I suppose you'd need to define how wide an arc they'd be viewing, find the line segment from the guard to the player, and if that line is within the arc and doesn't pass through obstructions, the guard can see the player. If it's tile-based, you might be able to handwave away the arc and use a rectangle instead, which would make calculations much easier. (Unless you're using a friendly geometry library, in which case, arcs are your friends.)
I don't remember how picky Temporal is about it. Armed guards in Temporal only shoot along the cardinal directions, but I think guards are assumed to see or hear you if you're in the same room. But Temporal is less about stealth and more about using time travel to solve all of your problems, so it mightn't be the best example. It was just the only one I could come up with OTTOMH.
I think BK3's cameras and security carts work on the rectangular model. IDK if the vertical size of their line of sight is 1 tile, or 2-3. It helps that they can only face left or right. If you need arbitrary angles, you'll need arcs and such.