Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

first things, thanks all for a very interesting, perhaps the one of the most interesting topic we've had in a long while. posts 8 and 10, well written. crashmaster, think post 22, I'll be straight up honest, your post made me somewhat emotional. you have thought so much about it, and you've explained it well, most of which that I could relate to... once again, thanks for a great read. now on to a couple of things. first, if anyone thinks that having light perception allows you to do more, that's partially true. sure, you see the sun. sure, you see things. but it won't make you any more or less independent. as for sleeping difficulties, as I say, I have full light perception, and I can't, no matter how hard I try, sleep during the day. I've no ideas what it is related to, but it is what it is. post 28, there's a difference between being able to do things, and no sight stopping you. sure, maintaining a house is possible. sure, cooking is possible. sure, raising kids is possible. going into a shop without an assistant, somewhere where you haven't been before, and you're all alone... going to a country where the traffic works differently... so say you came from, I don't know, will say France to the UK. over here, we have left hand side drive. over there, we have right hand side. or is it the other way round? either ways, the fact is, crossing a british road, at first, may seem taunting. maybe it is. honestly, my mobility skills are horrible, and I'll get to that in a bit. so while things can be done, there are some things that you will just never be able to do. someone also raised the inability to use braille or speech. just because we gain sight, there's nothing to say that we can no longer use braille and speech.  as for things like RNIB, humanWare, etc, etc, total rip off. glad I'm not the only one, who feels like these companies are pushing you their one and only method. the sad thing is, I even know some blind people, who think that their method is the one and only. and you know what? it's sad, it's sad that they claim that you're this, you're that, yet they're the ones who are close minded. there's something else that hasn't really been mentioned, and so I want to raise it here. mobility. while I don't really want to go into my private life, long story short, I have not, till the age of 10, even seen, let alone using a cane. at the age of 10, when moving over to the UK, I was more or less forced to use it. that discouraged me so badly, I have not, for 2 years, again, used a cane. the fact that my mobility instructer was crappy didn't help the fact at all. she took me in the shop at the age of 16, gave me a carrot, and asked me what it was. no one, unless they went through it as well, will ever understand, how embarrassing that was. giving me a carrot, at the age of 16. long story short, I have lost my self confidence  that I once had. I lost hope of proper mobility, partially due to that instructer. here I am, at the age of 18, with more or less non-existant mobility skills. and no one, ever understood how I felt about it. the older I am, the worse this will be. with that said, I am fully independent as far as looking after  myself goes, as long as it doesn't involve busy streets. and honestly, I don't expect nyone to understand me. and no, it's not as easy as you just gotta move on and deal with it. unless someone has experiences with horrible mobility instructers, they will see it differently. once again, thanks for some interesting stories.