Re: A few questions about creating a big game

jonikster wrote:

Hello.
For a long time already, I had an idea to create a game like a real world. But not like the real world, with their countries, etc. Not text, sound, like GTA.
But there are a few questions that I can not solve. Help me please:
1. The client I want to develop on C#. But in which programming language is better to develop a server? I know that C++ is faster than C#, but C++ is difficult. Will it effectively use sockets in C# or Python?
2. What is the best way to implement maps? Create multiple maps for homes, each state, or one large map? And the problem is that I know how to create different steps sounds, but how to create walls, different background sounds in different places, etc? Maybe there is literature on creating maps?
3. How best to store information on the server? In a database or in files?
Thanks in advance!

Hello Jonikster!
I'll address the points you made:

1 - When developing games for the first time, I don't think it is worthy to decide which language to create your application, simply by their speed. I can't tell about python, but both C++ and C# are capable of using sockets effectively, and the speed gap between them is negligible for this case. Nowadays people are building muds with NodeJS. It doesn't mean you should pick the "flavour of the month" language.
You should pick up a language you are comfortable with, stick with that language and only them you will have results;

2 - It depends on which platform you want to build. Is this a 3D game in unity or a text based one? I don't have much experience with 3D, but in 2D it's usually easier to split your maps into chunks of two or three dimensional arrays and link them together. Even big open world 3d games do something like that, like World of Warcraft.
In the cases of MUDs, you could have only a big array/list of Rooms with x and y positions(and z if you want to simulate depth).
The states you can implement with a finite state machine, and I'm not sure what do you mean by walls;

3- Json is a great format to save your files and it's pretty easy to create a reader/writer in any language to import or export. Creating a database may be overkill, more so if you are using a relational database. Another format is XML, which the .NET framework has a built-in lib for you to use and it's pretty easy as well, though not as readable as a Json can be.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Guitarman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : gjp1311 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector