Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

"I want to ask a philosophical question that people are certain to have strong opinions on: Do people primarily want vision because they are reminded of their limitations as a blind person by the sighted world?"
Absolutely not, since I can judge on my own how problematic is the absence of sight as we experience it everyday, in or not in the presence of sighted people. You are limited in many forms and many aspects of life, where now I can clearly see how important is the social interaction with other people, that only this year I am getting what social life really means. Throughout university, only this year has been satisfactory for me in terms of interacting and hanging out with friends or engaging in activities that the institution organises. The first two years have been utterly destructive for me as regards social life as I didn't have many friends, and that was primarily due to the fact of being blind. But, do you know how underestimated I felt? I constantly kept asking the question, what is wrong with me, that I am one of the best students in class, and I can't have a solid friend to hang out with? This situation that went on for two years did fundamentally contribute to my results in university, particularly in the first year, when I experienced the most deadly stress in my entire life. Not going then about ensuring the textbooks and lectures for the courses I attended; that is a completely different story. I had to ask my brother to scan my books one by one and then correct the grammatical mistakes that would appear after converting them to electronic formats. There were worse cases, when the books would be very old and only the eye of a human could scan them, so again my brother would come and read for me. Sometimes he would get angry, and there were instances when he refused to read, which would nearly make me cry. I attempted many times to convince myself to abandon university, but then I stopped at the argument that if I left university, there would be no other chance of getting a satisfactory job in the future. This is the last semester for me at university; recounting again on all that has passed makes me conclude that I have been destroyed more than educated by this experience at university, compounded by the defects of the educational system to give the student the necessary room to study and reflect on the knowledge he gains.
Maybe a bit unrelated from the theme we are discussing, but I believe that again blindness has played a significant role on what I wrote about some lines above; and, I tend to see blindness with a bit of anger, since the sight was taken from me unfairly, when I was just a little baby, having caused no harm to anyone that could possibly be harmed by the existence of a human.
In short, going back to the question that TJT posed, the reminder of a sighted person that brings fourth your limitations, even in the form of assistance you are offered on the things and activities you can't do, does not urge me to think about being sighted or lament for being blind. It is certain that I am able to live blind; however, I know that getting my sight back will intirely change my life and I would be ready to pay the price of getting used to it.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : AlirezaNosrati via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector