Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

I know what a lot of you have said here from personal experience and can sum it up this way.

I know a lot of sighted people who are more visually impaired than most of the blind people I know.

Blindness shouldn't define you, you should be defining your blindness.

Yeah, I'd love to have my sight back, but since that isn't in the cards I've been dealt, I don't let my blindness bother or define me other than that it's just one of my many traits, just as my hair is brown or my eyes are green are traits.

Some of my family members treat me as if I'm completely helpless. If I can't convince them that that simply isn't the case, I steer clear of them, the last thing I want is for them to treat me as helpless in front of other people.

At our family Christmas party last year, while I was navigating my way through the house towards a bathroom, a sister in law decided that I needed help navigating and grabbed the waistband of my pants and started yanking it around in an attempt to get me to go where she wanted me to go. After telling her to let go of me didn't work, I turned around and slapped her and told her that not only is that not the proper way to guide a blind person, it was a totally inappropriate way to touch anybody. She and my brother left soon afterwards. I don't normally go around hitting people, but not only did I feel that she was being completely inappropriate, it was embarrassing, and she wouldn't back off after I told her to let go of me.