Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

(I go to sleep and the thread expands to 150%. How can I respond to all that?)
User guides and street crossings: sighted people do have to do those things. The advantage they have is being able to learn from watching others. And also, the fact that they are taught these things from a very early age, and blind people tend to be told they can't and kept in a bubble. Sighted children get edutainment videos about crossing the road. Barney, Disney, flippin' Dragonball all released videos about how to safely cross the street.

Claiming that blindness is not a disability feels a lot like redefining words, IMO. It's a disability in the sense that blindness is the lack of a whole sense that the overwhelming majority has and have built civilization and basic adaptations around. If blindness was the norm, sight would be a superpower whose main weakness would be relying on it at the expense of nonvisual solutions to things.
Having said that, though, I feel like some people in this thread are vastly underselling their abilities, and overestimating the sighted. Driving and easy access to text and nonverbal communication are denied us, true. On a "completely unrelated" note, did you know that cars are little more than 100 years old, and that even in the west, majority literacy is a relatively recent phenomenon? One would think that this would make blindness less disabling in 1800 than 2018, and yet, the oldest depiction of a blind person functioning independently I've read is Treasure Island, with the closest second being the Acts of Andrew (which is commonly considered a late Medieval writing claiming to be a late Roman era writing).

How does blindness interfere in my daily life, other than driving and access to writing? Dropping things, and searching in the dark unused places where spiders gather. The former applies mostly to tiny things like nuts, and the latter is resolved by getting a healthier house.
In a broader sense, I like creating things, and that my only means of doing so is handcrafts and typing chafes very much. By which I mean: video games. I'd love to go outside and see the sky and the grass and the trees, and that inability is a genuine loss, but it's pretty inconsequential, as losses go.

Sticking out like a sore thumb, though? I hate that. I'd leave my house far more often if I could do so without being noticed. The reason this is noteworthy, though, is because it's different and unusual. Avoidance for fear of unsolicited attention is a self-perpetuating death-spiral. Avoid being seen doing things enough, and making a sandwich becomes a subject worth commentary from anyone who should pass by. If it doesn't go away after doing mundane things becomes normal, then people are being jerks, intentionally or otherwise.

But those jerks, though. The self-entitled ones who act as though they are entitled to "help", and if you object in any way, they get to call you the rude one. That's a subject best left to Tumblr and blogs, but gah I am not a vending machine that takes in charity and outputs validation. I don't want sight as a means to escape this; I just want people to stop being entitled asses in sheeps clothing.

So, yeah, like just about every issue ever, there's nuance and knowledge gaps and experiential differences all over the place.

(Re: NFB. I've never encountered the types people talk about here. It's easy to see where the militant identitarian demanding stereotype comes from (just go to a general session at a convention), but the "blind people must x" and "have you heard of our lord and savior Kennith Jernigan?" stuff is well outside my experience. YMMV.)