Re: College Degrees and Employment

eIn the Uk the system is rather different.

You don't get scholarships specifically. There is a careers fair, but mostly that usually boils down to various high priced business arse holes sitting around waiting for lots of students to stroke their egos  in the vague hope that said business arseholes might have a position available somewhere.

i was quite amused when one idiot canvassing for a bank told me that they were looking  "A trendy young person with a professional attitude" which made me, or my blindness or my masters in ethics or somethign else rather useless, not that I was actually interested in working for Lloyds bank anyway (I was actually just making conversation since I'd walked into their display and was commenting on how boring Loyds current advertising was).

here in the Uk generally unless your specifically on a vocational degree course that has set links with parts of the local community, careers post degrees are sort of a joke, because both universities and the government still asume that matters haven't moved on since the sixties and most employers will be impressed by having a degree anyway, while most employers couldnt' care less about your degree and are more bothered who you know, and whether you fit the stereotypical shape for whatever hole the cog they need you to be in.

It also doesn't help that most actual recruitment for coorporate employers is done by employment agencies who have their own agenders.

My brother applied for a position with the crown prosicution service with a reference from! the crown prosicution service where he'd done a placement. unfortunately the recruitment had bugger all to do with the cps and was carried out by a random agency who of course did not want to risk their fat contract with the cps by recommending a less than perfect applicant, ie. a blind person.

Actually the job market is bad enough for any graduate, especially if you want a job that requires you to use your brain, add in blindness and your onto a none starter, hence my above stated philosophy of forget a career, look for a vocation instead ;D.