Re: Text Map

@gjp1311, I wouldn't necessarily go for an auto travel option. Visually impared players like mazes and navigation as much as anyone else for a challenge, and a game that gives you the tools to complete a challenge is generally more fun than one which just does it for you.

For example, if I find a locked door in a dungeon and then later find a key, I'd much rather have to think "oh where the hell was that door!" and then find it again myself than just hit one key and travel to it.

Thus, I'd prefer if there were tools like a coordinates system,  "have I visited here before" type of command and , and a way to scan around you and get an idea what was where in terms of rooms.

Still it's your game and if  areas are large enough auto movement might be the only way, prticualrly if the game doesn't have coordinates.
I'm afraid defender I  disagree on use of spacial maps, at least without a touch screen, indeed they're one thing that work far better on Ios than on a desktop, since even with nvda going up a line reads the entire previous line, not just the previous letter.

And anyway, the way that people process sound and  data is entirely different, thus maps of patterned letters which to a sighted person give the chance for a full visual scan and overview, to a visually impared person still need reading and decoding bit by bit, so you might as well just give full information anyway rather than trying to mess around with  letter codes.

E.g if a sighted person is  playing a roguelike and sees a greather than symbol and lots of lines, they can intuit a route from their current position to the stairs since mentally they convert and associate  greater than with stairs, where as a visually impared person has to A, remember what the symbol means when it is spoken then B, work their way around the map, interpreting each symbol on the way in small bite sized chunks of information before they can intuit the route.

If an overview is given I'd prefer it to  either be a relative basic overview such as telling you what quadrent of the map your in and where salient features are, or just an overview based on your current location, for example a scan command which let you view the contents and exits of given rooms around your current location.