Re: Linux information for a completely blind user with a verry old laptop

@Jace:
I'm not arguing that Mate isn't usable. I'm arguing that its a lot more difficult than windows, and not as intrinsically workable.
Were I to grade the applications I've tried using, it'd be about two thirds as accessible as windows, and not always cut and dry (bleachbit, for instance, looks accessible but then you can't actually select any of the checkboxes for what you want it to clean). I could point out a couple more examples of software I use on a regular basis that didn't work under mate for similar reasons. This doesn't mean there aren't solutions, because there are. They require more research and work to figure out, which is not user-friendly if you're new to the OS, and especially so if you just converted a primary machine, because some of the aforementioned challenges are in web browsers.

@Angel:
Which processes are using up your CPU? If you can detect those, you can figure out how to get rid of them, which should fix your machine. The symptoms you're describing are clasic "I'm-doing-to-much-at-once" complaints. Do you have AVG, Norton or MCAfee antivirus installed? If so, removing them may solve the problem (windows 10 comes with defender, and multiple antivirus products installed at the same time can cause conflicts).