Re: Sonifight and its failure

I was talking to a colleague about why SoniFight isn't what it should be (the pointer-finding tools respond poorly to screen readers) - and he came up with a fantastic idea.

In their final year of a bachelors degree, university students have to undertake some kind of collaborative project to help them understand what teamwork is and how to actually work together as a team. Coming up with useful projects can be difficult - so we often reach out to local companies and ask 'Is there some kind of software project you'd like done? If you don't mind our students working on it then you can have it for free!'

And my colleague suggested making Cheat Engine more screen-reader friendly as a possible project.

I think that has potential.

Unfortunately because we didn't think of it before the current semester's projects were finalised it would have to be pushed to next semester and hence wouldn't be finished before around November 2018. But if we could take a team of students and say - your goal is to make Cheat Engine accessible to blind/vi users - I think that's something a team of 4 students could make serious headway on in 3 to 4 months of work.

It's not a completely defined solution, it's not even a fast solution - but it's a forward-looking plan that can help.

If B/VI users can find their own pointer chains and share them, then you can make a lot of things work that never used to. My feeling is that the the stumbling point was the tools, and that it's something that can be attacked and made headway on.

Thoughts welcome.

P.S. If you run or work at a company that needs some somewhat straight-forward projects done, then contact your local university - uni's are always looking for 'real world' projects for students. Just don't expect triple A outcomes - they're students not professional software engineers so they can only do their best, or some approximation there-of - which you could always then just take and modify ;-)