Re: Christianity or Islam

I agree that out of the two religions you ar leaning towards, Christianity strikes me as the more logical option.

I am neither a Christian nor a Moslem but I have studied, and continue to study both religions extensively for my own personal improvement. I am agnostic, though I feel that there is only one god and that if there is a God it is good, powerful, and wants us to behave justly and ethically and I see atheism as an untennible position.

The problems I have with Islam is that the scriptures although they  have a multitude of good proverbs, sayings, and ways for living your life, there is quite a bit of sensuality in the descriptions of paradise I don't think should be part of a religious view of purity, especially since such sensual descriptions tend to objectify women. That said, the message of patience, resignation to what God has in store for you (which you seem to really resonate with.) and the concept of charity and keeping one's eye on God alone are to its credit. And despite the polygamy and such it was the first religion to declare the spiritual equality of men and women, something the Christian scriptures never do. though as a book that is said ot have come literally directly from God, there are some definite things in it I don't think sound like reasonable things for God to say. The Christian scriptures are largely allowed to be inspired by god, but recorded by man, which explains the places where the descriptions of historical events and some other stuff could be off as many admit and still have it be a holy book while the Quoran doesn't allow for such things as it was written by the hand of God originally.

Jesus is even given words of rather harsh criticism and mesagyny to women in the later portions of the Gospel of John, and the Christian tradition actually has a tradition of treating women like garbage as long and dark as that usually attributed to th eMoslem faith. Also Islam often considers other religions such as Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Judiasm, and Christianity as deserving of going to heaven as well. When Jesus says that he is the way to God and it is interpreted that he is the only way, I don't buy it. To act thusly, especially if he is supposed to be one with God would make god petty, a trait contemptable even in meager human beings. If we argue that going to Jesus is more of a state of one's soul rather than simply surrendering directly to Jesus in name, it is more viable.

Christianity did not resort to violence to spread itself immediately as Islam did, though we now know that Christians were persecuting Jews while the apostles were still alive. I also have an issue with Christianity trying to convince me that 3=1. The way previously described as to how the trinity works in the previous post did not arise until the 4th century, and it was mostly formulated out of mixing scripture with neo-platonic philosophy that was very popular and was actually a sort of rival religion to Christianity in the 3rd and 4th centuries. There had always been an idea of the trinity, but how it works didn't get forumulated without the neo-platonic works of Plotinus and Porphery (the second was rampantly anti-Christian.)

That said, Christianity has a concept of love, peace, and the brotherhood of all mankind far stronger than I have seen in any other religion. If the logical problems I have with Christianity are not logical problems for you, and I admit I could be wrong about what I think does and does not make sense, I think Christianity would be a better choice. It has less sensuality, a more charitable spirit, and a concept of forgiveness and love of everyone that I think is a gift to this world whether Jesus was divine or not. I think he is worth following in example, even though I personally think he was simply a human being as both Jews and Moslems believe.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Riad via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : jonikster via Audiogames-reflector