Re: Be My Eyes - My Experience

Well, for me, whether the Be My Eyes volunteers are trained or not has never become an issue. If it does, then perhaps I will have to re-evaluate my use of the app. I too share the concern about not giving sensitive information to them, and don't use it in those cases. I have never had an experience, and admittedly, 5 uses isn't a very good sample size if you consider studies that measure effects over time, but despite that, I have never had a bad experience with them. They did not act like untrained people, they acted like professionals. I think that speaks very well of the people themselves who wish to help, and consequently, though indirectly, of Be My Eyes itself. Having not been sighted, I cannot comment as to the restrictions, or lack there of to become a volunteer. I don't know what they ask for, if they ask for anything at all. Certainly, I could see it as becoming an issue if all you have to do is get the app, say you're a sighted person looking to help the blind, and that's all you have to do, and as long as you have the app open, you're on the hook as it were, you're in the queue for volunteers. If that's the most in depth they go, I could see where at some point, someone's going to have a less than stellar experience.

My purpose for writing this is just to relate my overall very positive impressions / experiences with the app. If anyone has had bad experiences, do feel free to share them, but also feel free to share your good ones. I think like this, we are kind of reviewing the service, and giving others who may be a little leery of it the positive reinforcement to try it.