Opinions on The Gate

The gate is the one VG storm title I did not buy, though I did play the demo last year.
I fancied a side scroller so after finishing Superliam for a bit of nostalgia I played The Gate again.
The basic reason I didn't buy the game is  while some of the games' difficulty was okay, there seemed to be a lot of rather unreasonable difficulty ramping in the game, EG instant kill ghosts, a low attack range with your knife as compared to most enemies, status conditions dependent upon items to cure and of course enemies who shouldn't be instant killers which are such as those devil spiders, and this is quite aside from things like the grey lady.

I played through the demo again and seemed to get on generally better, however I was wondering about people's opinions of the game in general, how is the ratio of unfairness vs difficulty curve?