Re: Opinions on The Gate

The ease of dying makes it feel like an old-school arcade or NES game, IMO. Granted, I've only played on easy so far, and have yet to spare the patience necessary to beat the final boss. But that's basically how a lot of old-school games that I wanted to own-not-rent went.
Still, the price compared to the content seems high. Considering the fully-voiced scenes, menus, stats, etc, and the general audio and gameplay, that feels a little unfair, but it feels like it's lacking a certain something that Super Mario Bros has, with its five level styles, 3 color schemes, indoor and outdoor, day and night, and random bits of scattered scenery. Stuff which I kinda feel like Adventure at C: comes closer to emulating. But, since AAC is free, I feel OK with paying so much for The Gate anyway.
(Admitedly, The Gate is set entirely in a haunted castle. There's a limit to what you can do with that, in terms of the figurative CSS.)