Re: Getting started with the raspberry pi?

This is great, but I'm still not understanding how I'd use the GPIO pins other than take this little thing, buy this other thing and plug this here. What? Where? Why? Lol.
Any parts for the most part, I can source with ease all day long, though putting them together for use with the pi is what I need help with.
I'm not comfortable throwing away $35 so I want to make sure I don't fry the pi, even though baking pie is good. Especially the smell of it. I mean the food item, lol.