Re: Opinions on The Gate

Thumbs up to Sterlock here, frankly I confess this topic has been depressing me since I was despairing of anyone being able to express a critical opinion without condemnation.

Any game has good or bad points, but bad points don't mean the developer is the spawn of satan or some money grubbing attention hog or whatever. IN my personal experience very few games are utter and total awful from stem to stern, or completely lovely all the way through, there's always a mix of good and bad and that indeed is why I posted this topic, to get people's opinions on said mix in The Gate, which has nothing to do with any speculations about Aaron's character, motivations, game creation process etc.

So in that vane, a thumbs up to Conor and Simba giving me the sort of info without starting up the flame throwers.

As regards the gate and tactics as I said above, it seems that the Grey lady is almost a teaching tool rather like the uba encounter in The Ensign. As such I didn't mind her too much myself, indeed when I downloaded the demo this time around I only lost two lives to her before doing her in.
My concerns with difficulty are more about the other monsters such as those devil spiders and instant attack ghosts since from a pure mechanics perspective I do not like the fact that basically enemies do not  have actual attacks that you can avoid, they simply have a chance of damaging you when your in range, which effectively means you need to be damnably lucky with the knife (as well as abuse your spacebar as Pulsseman said), until you get the sword.

So more critical opinions welcome, though please go easy on the rants and flaming big_smile.