Re: Questions about England

@Shotgun, yeah, as I said when I wrote post 28 in This topic which I actually did write while living in the states  three months prior to getting married, there are definitely good and bad things, although unfortunately the climate over there and a lot of things Donald Trump is doing aren't sitting well with the rest of the world right now which is giving America a much less friendly reputation, I recently heard of a lady who'd lived in florida for 18 years but moved back to Britain  America was prooving much less friendly than it has been, ----- heck  family friend of ours who is the paralimpic canooing  had a connecting flight that changed in Atlanta, and was not allowed to change planes because she'd been to the middle east, ---- of course she'd been to the bloody middle  east, she's a bloody paralympic canooing instructor!

@Angel, it depends upon where you go. I will say in Britain on average people are more reserved than in the states or europe that is true,  equally just because English people don't go around saying "I love you" or "good morning friend!" or being particularly extravogant doesn't mean people are necessarily unfriendly.

My lady actually said one thing she's had to get used to is the fact that dry or sardonic humour is a lot more common over here than it is in the states, so often people will sound far more grim than they mean to be.

For example, I once  saw a Jordi friend of ours with her daughter (said girl was about twelve or thirteen). The daughter was in a severely bad mood, she got in the car and slammed the door. Mother said nothing but drove off.

A minute or two later mother said in a decidedly grim tone.

"Oh by the way pet! if you slam that door again, I'll rip your face off"

If you'd heard this without the context, you might think said mother was the most evil person imaginable and you'd be looking at child abuse (her tone was very grim), but the daughter's response was to laugh.

Again, if your not familiar with British culture, and more specifically Jordies who go in for that sort of harsh humour,  could pick things up severely wrongly.

As with any culture, you need to live here a bit to pick up the nuances.