Re: Why most kids prefer and care about online games? A topic to discuss

Online games are potato chips. They're engineered to keep you wanting more, but in terms of social nutrition, they make you feel like you're consuming something satisfying but they just make you hungrier. ... I struggle to find a way to phrase this that isn't overgeneralizing, and I loathe overgeneralizing. -_-
I like this explanation because it focuses on culturally independent things like addiction and social health. I never would have made the connection to trolls and power-gluttons on my own, but it hits the same points for them as for the bored and lonely, in this sense, doesn't it? I'm not really sure.