Anyone know what this song is?

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck this melody is from. First though, a bit of background.

Back when I was in school, Our P.E. teacher would allow us to bring music to play while we were exercising. A fellow student would bring in an album which included a song with this melody in it. When I asked him what it was, he just said it was goth metal. Since there are many, many bands that are considered goth metal, that doesn't help much.

So here's a bit of the melody that I remember. This was back in either 2001 or 2002, so I may or may not be remembering it correctly. Also the wacky quality is due to me using a website that can convert audio files to MIDI and humming into the microphone. The thing picks up even the slightest variation, so echos and such will make things go nuts.