Re: planning to switch to reaper

I have successfully been able to work on both live instrument and digital electronic tracks.

The track routing  alone  makes it extremely useful.

To give an example: if I record my acoustic drums, that's 8 mics.  All I'd have to do is turn a track into a folder, and put the 8 drum tracks below it, and make sure the last track is labeled as the end of the folder, and boom, they're already assigned to the drums folder bus without any extra work needed.

Unlike some DAW's, You'd have to put your synth VST in a single track, then put your MIDI file in a completely different track, however, in Reaper, you don't have to for they can share the same track and this is very useful for  cleaning up clutter real quick.  The song I just finished producing is another video game cover I did, and it's a dance mix.  With the exception of 5 folders, there are 26 tracks in this and  countless VST's were used and  the Midi editor gave me the sense of feeling like I was working in Fruity Loops.

Reaper takes up  far less system resources than most other DAW's, and the other great thing about it, the accessibility is not screen reader dependant like Sonar or  a few others out that may use specific screen readers.  You can use Jaws, NVDA, or even voiceover on Mac and Reaper is accessible and behaves much in the same way with the OSARA extension, which is a free extension.

Reaper also does video editing, if that is ever a need for you.   Although it puts out a large file that I tend to  regenerate in a different program to resize it, it definitely makes editing a breeze!

And the best part about this, Reaper has a very active  community and they listen to their users at Cockos.    The forums are always busy and there are tons of useful scripts out that  will  be of great help.

Also as mentioned above,  there is a Reaper accessibility wiki, a dedicated wiki for accessibility.  And a list of VST's for the DAW that you can purchase that have been tested and proven to be accessible through different methods.
Needless to say, Oh, I could go on and on, and on, and on, and on... and on...  and on...

LOL.  Hope you find some of my information useful and not too overwhelming.