Re: different ways to emboss braille

I'm not sure. You'd need the printer to be able to feed thicker paper, and I'd expect the resolution would need to be decreased, since poking holes as small as a Dot Matrix pixel doesn't seem like it would scale up to a Braille dot by just using several in a cluster.
Supposedly some tactile graphics are made via normal printers that just layer eink thickly enough to be felt. I think the Dot Matrix mod sounds more convincing.
I wonder if there's a type of paper which can simplify it? The problem with refreshable braille is finding ways to lock that many dots in each state, while cramming them into a tiny space. But if the paper doesn't need to be able to change states more than once, could it be designed in such a way as to cheapen the process?