Re: Bookworms: what are you reading/listening to now?

@Flacus Yep, agreed about King, though even at his good moments he still has issues, for example he often uses profane language or explicit descriptions not so much to further the story, but more because he's king and just does that, I also notice that a lot of his so called "good" characters are randomly occasional arse holes too, plus in at least some of his books he does have a tendency to make all his female characters "wet tissues" as my lady put it, ie, women who spend most of their time crying.
Actually its the gender thing and the characters being randomly arsy which is taking away from The sTand for me at the moment, since to have Stue redman point out to Harald that there is no need to rape women if a man can use his hand, this after noting that "there are some girls you can own and this probably wasn't one" doesn't make me exactly like Stue that much despite the fact he's supposed to be this super nice guy.

ditto with knick decideding to sleep with a female psychopath the instant he meets her basically for no reason whatsoever, -its like the random scene in the mist where the main character sleeps with someone for no reason.
Then again there is so much good stuff, description, atmosphere, and actually characters who are likable when they aren't! being arse holes or fantassising about women's breasts that this is quite a shame.

--- @Darth vader why did you hate Catniss in the Hunger games/
I confess I was never a fan of the Percy jackson books. They were fun, seeing Crusty's bed emporium" and depicting hephaestus as a greasy mechanic, indeed in general I loved the repurposing of griek myths, however I just got totally sick of Percy himself being a real arse, celestial bronze used to basically kidify all of the fights and make things lack any sort of real tention, everyone saying how great he was, the attempt to write an intelligent character by basically just have her talk about architecture and above all the very very veeeeeery! blatant harry potter ripoffs!

From a magical summer camp, to a prophecy, to a best friend who is supposed to be clever (although she never really seemed that bright to me), not to mention spending the final book finding out about the bad guy's past, and having every group of allies in the series return for a final battle it all seemed a bit too blatant, ---- accept of course for the fact that nobody actually ever got hurt.

They weren't bad by any means, but even compared to other Ya literature they were just a little too overly fluffy for my liking, one reason why I've not picked up any of riorden's others.

Dresden I did enjoy, albeit I got very sick of Dresden himself by the end of the series, particularly how he kept on picking up random powers and then still getting either kicked around or blatantly manipulated by everyone around him who he couldn't fireball!

I did love some of the action sequences and awesome ideas, and some of the supporting cast who aren't! the winy wizard of the title rocked (I loved Michael), but in general Dresden is pretty much why I'm not crazy on urban fantaysy, --- all glitz and no go.

Then again I love! the SEanon Mcguire October day  and indeed buffy the vampire slayer so maybe I shouldn't be too off against all! urban fantasy big_smile.

As to a long way to a small angry planet, Mrs. Dark and I are probably going to read that together when we've done Sanderson, as it sounds absolutely amazing! I love to see realistic average characters thrown into weird situations and have to cope, and it sounds like angry planet is full of that, as well as a fascinating world, so thanks again for another recommendation, we'll bump that one further up the list big_smile.