Re: Bookworms: what are you reading/listening to now?

I got a philosophy degree actually and I specialize in ethics. I don't get Kant's limitations he tries to put on certain questions and although I'm a huge fan of ethics, I don't think Kant's morality works in the real world. However, I am very much an advocate of reading people you disagree with. So to paraphrase Niezche here, "Never have I read something and found with every sentence, no, no, no, no!" I think there is some validity  to wanting to read folks you disagree with. It helps you formulate your own stance and view it more critically, and also helps you prepare counterarguments against ways of thinking you disagree with.

I admittedly pay for my books, and btw I also have the complete works of Karl Marx from the same series, but the price is so negigeable for such convenience with easy navigation, scholarly commentary, good organization, and included criticisms, biographies, and in many cases, personal correspondence, I think the $1.40 I paid for this was worth it. I get everything Kant wrote in a single volume for peanuts and I've found that the organization, navigation, and completeness of the collections are definitely worth it.  And I read the entire thing from front to back before moving onto another book, so it keeps me occupied for quite some time. I imagine I won't be done with Kant for several weeks. I also enjoy the commentary in the beginning of each source, the knowledge I'm getting a good translation (I've read Kant in his original German back in college but no longer have the works as I speak German and A lot of those online sources aren't great on that.) and also having everything in one place. as I use my fire despite everything it can do for reading only. I don't read on my computer if I can help it, for some reason the kindle is easier, faster, and more comfortable, though I also have issues because I don't have the foreign voices for JAWS to read in other languages coherently or know how to adjust the speech reading language on the kindle if I wanted to read German books.

Also, I'm not reading Kant for school right now but for my own personal enrichment. I can find almost any subject interesting, as I've even bought extensive chemistry books for my own personal amusement.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DarfVader via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dino via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DarfVader via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Warcat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector