Re: Swamp, zombie FPS by Aprone

Defender, an example I could give is if you set up a server or website that handed out goods once people purchased them with Paypal.  Paypal deals with the payments, but then it has a very specific way it communicates with your server to notify you of the purchase and its details.  I'm referring to the paypal IPN (Instant payment notification), if you've had any experience with that.  In this pretend situation, you have your own software written that listens for those notifications, and knows how to interpret them once they arrive.  Everything is golden.  Now imagine they, for whatever reasons they have, change how the data arrives in the IPN.  Until you adjust your own code, your server will not know how to interpret the data.

That's not the greatest example, but it's one many people can probably relate to.  For the gamer account security, part of the process is bounced to a yahoo server and the other part goes to my own.  It's meant to avoid something somehow screwing with my home server and bypassing the security.  It's a 2 part system.

What happened is that the response from the server yahoo runs changed its format a bit.  It's the first time they've done this sort of change in the 20'ish years I've used them for hosting, so I don't think it's something I need to fear happening often.

When I was talking about that free month idea, and how it would take a while to get the Swamp client ready, I also thought it could take me a few weeks to have it ready.  I basically canceled everything and worked non-stop on the client today.  To my surprise, I was able to get it up and running way sooner than I expected!  Now I could be celebrating too soon, and there may be some part I forgot to code or some little bugs hiding in there, but so far it seems players are on the server battling zombies.

The "Swamp 2" engine hasn't been canceled.  What was canceled was the idea of using it to make an actual sequel to Swamp.  It seems like a game with a different theme (not so limited to zombies), would be a better choice for the engine.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ZK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : revan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : revan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : revan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : angarag via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Nikos via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ZK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sito via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : tseth42 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ZK via Audiogames-reflector