Re: Bookworms: what are you reading/listening to now?

I don't actually mind utilitarianism as much, indeed my tutor is a fan of it himself, albeit more the mill style utilitarianism based on liberty rather than the strict benthem formulation posited by idiots like Peter Singer.

I actually thought Mill had a very good point when he simply noted that if the minority are always under threat of sacrifice to the majority,  that makes everyone worse off big_smile.

These days I confess I've grown a little too synical both about the process of academic philosophy  the progression of moral argument, and the general relation of power in the world and how moral changes actually occur in human society to have much truck with theoretical ethics anymore.

I used to be a fan of a system I referred to as "perception empathy" which was probably similar to the idea of care ethics with a general utilitarian sentiment, but these days I'm no longer convinced either humans, or human society, or indeed the process of philosophical enquiry itself would do much good, one reason why I'm so eager to get rid of this bloody anoying thesis so that I can do something else, ---- -like write fiction!