Re: blind characters in games of any media, present and discuss.

@CrystalD, this reminds me of the plinkit test for characters.

Plinkit is an internet reviewer who does rather long, very sarcastic but quite ensiteful reviews of films, notably starwars and startrek.
In one review he said the way to tell a complex character, is any character whom you can discuss without mentioning any details of their appearance, profession or actions, in other words, just! discuss their personality.
it'd be interesting to see how much you could  about blind characters without actually mentioning their blindness.

my brother has Samurai Champloo, but I've only ever seen the first episode, likewise I'm not sure who wrote the Luna books you mention.

i was actually amazingly disappointed in big finish for representations of blindness, since for a company who make audio dramas and thus deal with representing a world in sound on a regular basis  you'd think they'd have a little more understanding, and yet all the examples from their doctor who stories I can think of fall into one sterriotype or the other, for example whispers of fear features a blind old man who takes care of a futuristic audio archive (yeah how stereotyped can we get), while in Gallifrey season 5, when Leela the fourth doctor's assistant becomes blind she of course just shrugs it off Leela being such a damnably awesome super jungle tracker like she is big_smile.

Actually this one particularly disappointed me, since usually Leela is really well written, and I love the way her more instinctive way of understanding the world as someone who grew up in a primative society contrasts against the time lords and their technology, but of course make her blind and she just ignores it because she's that awesome!

I think the absolute worst I came across was in the fourth doctor story last of the colofane, about a scientist who had found a way to make himself invisible.
the idea that someone invisible would also be blind because  eyes would reflect rather than absorb light is a really interesting one, but Bf's use of the idea was absolutely ridiculous.

At  one point the doctor actually says "Wait! if we don't talk to each other he won't know where we are!"

yes, this scientist who had supposedly made himself invisible, killed off his entire race and built a doomsday weapon was confounded because when he was blind he couldn't tell where people were if they didn't speak out loud big_smile.

Its a shame, I sort of like the idea of a blind villain, but that  done so badly it was laughable! plus of course we didn't really learn much else about him besides the fact that he was blind and eeeeeeeevil!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BlindJedi via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : CrystalD via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bookrage via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : FamilyMario via Audiogames-reflector