Re: an accessible method to earn a little extra income

I think both sides have valid points here. For example, most high school kids get their start working in fast food establishments, or as cashiers. Sadly, these jobs really aren't all that accessible. I agree that it would be possible for someone to do some of the cooking, or washing dishes in a restaurant, but probably not at  McDonald's or something similar, due to how fast-paced it is. There's also tickets to consider, how exactly does a blind person handle those? I'm not saying it's impossible, but those are barriers that an employer, faced with 25 other applications submitted by able bodied folks, is probably not going to invest time in finding out. Working at a cash register, or really in most other aspects of retail, however, I really can't see how a blind person could do. I speak from experience; both my parents and my sister have spent most of their lives working in such environments. It would necessarily take longer to handle a customer's money, and we all know how impatient most people are. So they would probably complain to the management about that. There is also the messy situation of handling the inaccessible software that the store uses to complete transactions, print receipts, handle gift cards/rewards cards/credit cards, etc. Then there's the act of putting things on the shelves, making sure that stuff is in the correct order, etc. If these things could be accomplished, I would have followed in my family's footsteps a long time ago.

now, someone is probably going to mention that kids don't have to work in such places. They could volunteer at the humane society, nursing homes, or at homeless shelters. Altruism looks great on college applications, after all, and I'm only being slightly sarcastic here because it is true to a degree. It's really cliche, though, and not all people are cut out to do that type of stuff. Then again, not everyone is cut out for retail work, either. Judging by the amount of complaining I've heard throughout my life about it, it can be thankless, exhausting, and gruelling. Clearly, though, it works for the vast majority of people who are just getting their start, even if they hate it.